Highlights from Rise Investment Club February Meetup
Every month, Rise brings investment enthusiasts and community members to discuss ways to get better at money matters.
On Saturday, February 29th 2020, we held our second Investment Club meeting of the year and it was super insightful!
As a result of the coronavirus scares, the meeting was 100% online with over 30 people joining us on Zoom.
The meeting kicked off with highlighting the reasons why anyone should invest. Here are some nuggets from the meetup:
- You cannot work forever, so you need investments that will pay off and support your lifestyle when you do stop working.
- Because there are more opportunities than there is the ability to seize them all, people need investments so they can tap into as many opportunities as they can.
- By investing in stocks, real estate, etc, you will be making the most of opportunities arising in various fields of life.
- If you don’t invest your money, the value of your money is going down over time.
- The only way to protect your buying power and increase your wealth is for you to earn returns yearly by investing your money.
- A good way to make your money work for you is to invest in an appreciating currency, so you earn higher than the inflation rate.
We went on to identify these common risks in investment:
- Paying too much for an asset.
- Ignorance — Not doing enough homework.
- The probability of future events like government policy that are outside your control affecting your asset.
The meetup rounded off on the conclusion that for anyone to evaluate how risky an investment is, you need to know how to measure and manage your risk.